David Tenser wrote:

> Jonas Jørgensen wrote:

Thankyou, David, for giving me a good laugh there.

> > > if you think most people desire a different toolbar layout than
> > > the default, you're thinking too much like a technical user.

That is true for most programs, but not for Mozilla, because the default
in Mozilla is wrong. The non-technical majority would find Mozilla more
pleasant to use if the default was more like almost every other browser
-- that is, a toolbar at the top, the address bar underneath it, and the
bookmarks bar underneath that. That way, for example, people could go to
their home page or open the History window with a simple click on a
toolbar button.

So you have the worst of both worlds. Those people who normally *would*
want to customize their toolbar can't, and those people who normally
*wouldn't* want to customize it end up wishing they could.

> You are probably both right. Most people don't need to customize the
> toolbar,

That's partly because most people use a browser which has better defaults.

>          but I'd say the standard toolbar, as it is designed now, is
> very limited and not very user friendly. I still think that all these
> suggestions should be implemented, and I still think this is more
> important than skin support. Skin support is really just eye candy,
> but toolbars allow you to be more productive.

Right. All skin support gets you is the ability to look inconsistent
with the platform. Looking inconsistent is fine if people spend most of
the time just looking at the program (e.g. MP3 players), but if they
actually use the program then inconsistency is a bug.

--
Matthew `mpt' Thomas, Mozilla UI Design component default assignee thing
<http://mpt.phrasewise.com/>