Bamm Gabriana wrote:
> Here is Kryptolus' reply, in case you still haven't seen it.
>
> [begin quote]
> There are problems associated with only certain series of CPUs or maybe
> certain series of drivers supplied for a certain printer. You never
> know. That way it is possible to see if people with CPU X have a
> tendency to have more problems and people with CPU Y have a tendency to
> have another problem. etc.
>
> If you have ever used bugzilla, you will find that the talkbacks are
> good contributors. If 10 people are crashing, it can be used to find a
> common factor of those 10 people using various data.
>
> But the most important point is that it's optional.
> If you don't want to use it, don't!
> [end quote]

Already answered to at 00:52 16 March 2002 CET.

> Let me add, if a crash happened while you were printing, then
> the kind of printer you have is important in analyzing the crash.

I agree with you, fully. If the crash was due to a printer, that
information should be sent as "talkback". No other information is though
necessary to send, just the information needed to check a specific
problem. If a print crashes the only necessary information to be sent is
the type of printer and what is was doing at the particular moment it
crashed. No more, no less.

> Even if you were not printing, it is possible for Mozilla to have
> a conflict with some kinds of printer drivers, causing crashes
> even when you aren't doing anything.

If there are crashes without "doing anything" then any software itself
has a major problem and should be withdrawn and checked, and re-checked,
for the cause.

> Of course, not only the printer is relevant, but the rest of your
> hardware as well.

Why? What information does my computer name carry that may have an
influence to a printer crash? I accept that a printer crash could be
contributed a particular brand of printer and its driver, but I can not
accept that a computer name, assigned by me, may have caused a crash. If
it has significance then I would appreciate a list of accepted computer
names/designations to avoid future crashes.

> These information help developers know which environments
> cause frequent crashing and help them solve it.

Again, I agree. But only information that caused the crash should be
relayed back.

> Personally, I am willing to send my hardware information just
> so developers can fix things up for my kind of hardware.

It's your choise, as it's mine not to send personal information, which I
regard not be relevant information for a particular event.

> Other people are not willing, they might as well not use the
> beta versions of Mozilla if they aren't willing to help. Better
> wait for 1.0 and use it as an end user.

Will 1.0 be officially released as a "Mozilla 1.0" and in competition
with Explorer and Netscape 4.7x or 6.x?

--
jukola