On Sunday 19 June 2005 19:36, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
> Duane wrote:
> > In the end they decided to try it and now they enter the website address
> > of their bank each time (they don't use bookmarks or click on links in
> > emails) to make sure they connect to the right site each time. So
>
> So for them the current SSL model is actually enough.

Nope, entering the URL by hand will not cover on-
the-wire MITMs, only phishing MITMs.  So pharming/
DNS attacks are uncovered, for that they need to check
the URL and the cert.  Depending on the circumstances
this could be anywhere from easy to hopeless.

What we see there is the limits of the model:  with high
quality training, the click-thru feature is lost, some current
attacks are covered, but developing ones are not.  The
users don't even trust the bookmarks in this case, and I
wouldn't say they're being stupidly paranoid.  If that's
the solution, we now need to find ten million Duanes to
train a billion browser user.

Well, it's been a nice debate!  I hope you can now see
that if you assemble 10 experts in a room you'll get 11
different opinions on how to proceed.

It is for reasons like this that we look to Mozilla as an
organisation for leadership.  So hopefully you can pass
the message on - this is not about standards, decisions,
rough consensus or all those other things.  Instead it is
about creating the space to let the solutions prove
themselves.

iang
--
Advances in Financial Cryptography, Issue 1:
   https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000458.html