On Sunday 19 June 2005 02:36, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
> Ian G wrote:
> > In general a security system requires human
> > involvement to be strong.
>
> Of course. Humans are always involved (or at least in the browser
> context). But that doesn't actually say anything.

> If we assume (for argument's sake) that you really meant: ask the user
> to input something, then we can show that this is not necessary in all
> schemes.
>
> Let's say that whenever a new Firefox profile is created, the chrome
> background gets a watermark that is random. Now every Firefox user would
> have different UI. If a webpage tried to display chrome parts, it would
> be obvious it was different from the regular chrome.
>
> We didn't need to ask the user anything, and this scheme brought in a
> little bit more security.
>
> I am not saying we should implement this, just pointing out that there
> are ways to potentially improve the situation without requiring the
> users to input any data.

Sure, absolutely.  That is effort and involvement.  This
is like that other paper you posted about recently.  Input
is only one form of involvement.  There are other ways.

That's what we have to accept - the user has to notice
and involve herself in the security process for it to be
strong.  She has to learn and monitor the watermark that
was generated at the first time.  It's mental effort not
typing effort but it is still a cost.

This is essentially what I've been saying all along - the
most efficient way for users to be involved with the
security process is by means of logos - which are akin
to watermarks.  Graphical displays are a very efficient
way to get info to the user.  You will see this in the way
that Trustbar presents the CA's logo.  To drift into comparisons
this is why I personally prefer Trustbar's directions over
say Petnames.  But, frankly, my opinion on that isn't worth
a damn, and I'll support them both out in the field and we'll
see what users like.  Either is good enough to try.  I really
don't care if I'm wrong, as long as someone who's right
gets a chance to try.

iang
--
Advances in Financial Cryptography, Issue 1:
   https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000458.html