> RL> If you can point me to a specific implementation I can try to test it
> RL> directly. The only requirement I have is that the implementation support
> RL> some way of saving the decoded output to a file (e.g. WAV).
>
> Would be great: http://www.daansystems.com/coolplayer

I tested CoolPlayer and added it to the list of results:

  http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/compliance/

What's interesting is that CoolPlayer's Layer II results don't match Xaudio's.
But otherwise, Layer I and Layer III do, although FWIW the output is not
bit-for-bit precisely the same.

One thing to consider is that the compliance test data only sweeps frequencies
up to 10kHz, so unfortunately any bizarre behavior above this would not be
detected.

> maybe to be sure you can capture the output with totalrecorder.  This
> way you can also assure that the output is the same as the .wav
> writer.

What is totalrecorder?

--
Rob Leslie