On Jan 3, 2:25 pm, jason <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 9:00 am, "Bill Hart" <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> > The new intel machines. And I don't know if all Dunnington's use the
> > same family/system CPUID etc. So there might be mutiple CPUID's we
> > need to add to config.guess.
>
> > Bill.
>
> We should change the lowest common denominator on a x86_64 system to
> something more useful than 486 , say P4 64bit without LAHF ? , then
> people can at least get mpir working on new machines without mucking
> about

Well, the trouble was that configure believed it was a 32 bit system,
so I don't see much we can do there aside from attempting to compile
things in 64 bit mode.

> For the K10 , we will need a separate directory for it , I have
> mpn_popcount and mpn_hamdist which will not run on the K8  , requires
> SSE4.1a or whatever it's called ...
> before 7/7.75 c/l  now 1.5/1.75 c/l

Wouldn't it be better to create a SSE4.1a directory and use that
assembly code when SSE 4.1a is available? That seems to be the
prevailing way to do things.

On second though: according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4 it
seems that there are three SSE4 flavors:

 * SSE 4.1
 * SSE 4.2
 * SSE 4.1a

The last one seems to be K10 specific for now, but I would still
recommend to test for SSE 4.1a if your code is that specific.

<SNIP>

Cheers,

Michael