I don't understand what the t-locale test actually does. It looks to
me like in some parts of the world a decimal point is a comma and this
test somehow changes to that locale and tries to set an mpf to the
value given in a string (containing a comma).

It works just fine when the string uses a decimal point for a decimal
point. But not when it uses a comma.

I don't have access to bsd, so if someone could test revisions 1540
and 1545 to see if it used to pass the test on these machines for
either of those revisions, I would be grateful. I don't really see how
anything I touched would affect the locale stuff. Some of the fixes
were Sun CC only, not Apple. Other fixes were simply #including
cstdlib or something of that nature.

But then again I don't know much about C++ at all, and least of all
about locales.

Bill.