On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Jason Moxham <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:

> I pretty sure all core2 cpus have lahf,sahf , it's just some Pentium D dont
> have it . You can test the lahf_lm feature bit in cpuid to see if it's got it

Tested in:

My laptop: model 6 / family 15 (core 2 duo T5300).
My desktop is family 15 / model 6 (pentium D 930).

The "lahf_lm" feature is present in both according to /proc/cpuinfo.

Note that the laptop is "low end" core 2 (in the sense it has no VT
extensions). The pentium D is "high end" (in the sense it has VT
extensions --- low end would be pentium D 8xx). Maybe that makes a
difference?

OTOH, the kvm 64 bit virtual cpu (kvm 72) doesn't seem to know about
the "lahf_lm" (meaning, it won't report it in cpuid, even if the host
processor has it. I assume the instructions would work anyway.)

Gonzalo