This problem is quite difficult to deal with. I thought about it on
the way home, and I don't want to have config.guess return:

nocona-lahf-unknown-gnu-linux

How does the 32 bit code decide if MMX is available etc? I suppose
config.guess returns p4mmx. That's just nasty. Feature flags should be
dealt with separately. I don't even really like passing flags to the
yasm code because it means doctoring the yasm build system, which is
already complicated enough. Hmm, how does it distinguish processors
which support SSE in 32 bit mode? Surely it doesn't do p4mmxsse.

If we could exclude all 64 bit models not having support for LAHF by
having config.guess identify them as x86_64 only, i.e. not amd64,
core2, nocona, etc, then they can just run with the default x86_64
code.

We need to remember to make all changes in fat.c as well as config.guess.

Of course this doesn't help Brian much, who probably wants the core 2
code to run on all 64 bit intel processors so that he doesn't need a
separate build project for them. IIt may also slow those processors
down (though who knows, really).

I'm open to other suggestions, but so far nothing else looks appealing.

Bill.