On Apr 22, 6:05 pm, Jeff Gilchrist <jeff.gilchr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian, another thing I'm confused about for MSVC testing.  I load
> mpir-tests.sln and it has 143 projects.  If I do a Build Solution
> (with Release and x64 selected like I used for building the MPIR
> library) I get an error about test-lib.lib not being present.  If I
> select that project and build it, and then run Build Solution it
> builds about 7 out of the 143 projects but skips the rest.  Am I
> supposed to be building each one manually or could you set it up so
> that doing a Build Solution first builds the add-test-lib project and
> then goes through and compiles the rest?

Hi Jeff

My apologies for this unexplained change.

Let me explain why I made this change and then explain how it now
operates.

When I had all the test projects linked into a single build, testing
MPIR build failures wss a hopelessly inefficient task because I would
change MPIR to correct a bug and then find that all 140 test projects
would rebuild even though I only wanted to build and test one of them
that I know invokes the failure.

To overcoem this problem I hence had to drop all the test project
dependencies and this means that it is no longer possible to build
them all at once.

The way I now do this is to build the test library first and then
select all the rest and issue a build command.  This is not ideal but
it is hopeless debugging when all the test projects all rebuild even
when only one is needed :-(

But I should document this change.

It might be possible to have two configurations - one that builds all
of them and one that builds each one alone - I'll look into this.