On Friday 02 October 2009 19:38:21 Bill Hart wrote:
> I know I've been saying it for a while now, but the next version of
> MPIR is coming *soon*. Two major pieces of code still need to be
> written:
>
> 1) A new mpn_tdiv_qr function, using David Harvey's new divide and
> conquer division code (which I now have working fully in MPIR).
>
> 2) A configure option --enable-mt for multithreaded mode which will
> switch in some multithreaded multiplication routines designed by Marc
> Glisse and myself.
>
> Jason Moxham is also finishing off some new assembly code, and then
> Brian Gladman will probably convert it for Windows.
>
> The new release of MPIR is *massive*. The amount of new code and
> number of speedups is pretty staggering. We definitely should have
> done a number of smaller releases, however, for various reasons a
> couple of the very major new features which we promised took a very
> long time to get done and during that time all these other features
> got added, many of which are major in their own right.
>
> Anyhow, I definitely think we are working towards releasing well
> before Oct 15. That means if you are interested in testing it in Sage
> before that Sage release it should be possible. Jason and Brian can
> you let us know whether you are happy with what I propose below.
>
> A rough timetable might be as follows. Jason and I might aim to get
> our new code working over this coming weekend (weekends always include
> part of Monday for me if necessary). Brian may be able to do any final
> conversions for Windows which are necessary for the next release over
> the coming week. We'll begin testing on Linux during next week with a
> release by Oct 12th. Perhaps a preliminary *nix release might be
> available for Sage to try out by about 10th Oct. I guess Sage Windows
> releases are not timed to coincide with the Sage *nix release so
> hopefully that poses no problems. If all goes well with final testing
> that should actually be the final release of MPIR for *nix. Final MPIR
> release for all platforms can then be done before or on the 12th.

All sounds good to me , all my changes are just optimisations , so I can stop
anytime.

> MPIR will of course have been tested against its own test suite on
> piles and piles of different architectures (almost 30). We hope for a
> clean result when tested against Sage's test suite, but with such an
> enormous amount of new code, we obviously have to prepare for the
> possibility that our test suite has missed something. For Sage that
> should be easy, just back it out again and put the old spkg back in
> and try again on another release cycle.
>
> Bill.
>
> 2009/10/2 William Stein <wst...@gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sage-4.1.3 should be a new thread.
> >
> > Some of my personal interests include:
> >
> >   * getting as many of the Solaris, Cygwin, and FreeBSD fixes in as
> > possible.
> >
> >   * Making it so "SAGE_FAT_BINARY" actually works, i.e., so Sage
> > binaries work on old machines with fancy "ssse3", etc.  (Which means
> > fixing ATLAS and MPIR).

I think I know the fix for this ( for mpir at least). Do we have two machines
on skynet on which we can demonstrate the error , ie build it fat binary on
machine A and it fails to run on machine B. If the error is what I think it is
then building the fat binary on the "oldest" is also a solution.