2009/10/2 Antony Vennard <antony.venn...@gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm the new guy on the mailing list (Antony). I'm here after a
> discussion with Bill about some research he published. Basically I'm an
> ex-student (long story) and self taught programmer (not one of those
> .net types (sorry .net types) but the sort who have a copy of Kernighan
> & Ritchie's The C Programming Language) with an interest in things like
> parallel programming and CUDA. Bill suggested I might like to get
> involved and help out, so I thought I'd give it a try when I get the time.

Welcome aboard.

> Anyway, that's my introduction over with, I have a few questions:
>
> * This latest set of code, I assume that's available in the trunk (as
> asked previously)?

Yes, in trunk, though the mpir-mt stuff is not in there yet. It will
be in a couple of days if I get my act together.

> * I pulled the trunk about a week ago and the version reported is
> v1.3.0something, I assume this is reflects the big changes discussed
> previously too? Just making sure I'm reading up to date(ish) code.

Yeah, this will be 1.3.0.

> * Are there any plans to move to git or mercurial or something like
> that? If not, not a problem, I've just never bothered learning
> subversion (except for "co") (but can do if needed).

The plan is to move to git. I hope that will happen this month, but it
will be after the release probably. I have the machine set up for this
and have been getting some experience with using GitWeb, which is
great.

> Bill has given me a good description of how the library works, so next
> question is,
> * how are you attacking parallelism / cuda etc or is this still an open
> discussion?

That's definitely still a very open question. If you get access to the
list archives you'll find a very long discussion which was had about
CUDA. In particular there was a meeting at which some of this was
discussed and we posted our (random) thoughts to a wiki. But that's
about all the planning we've done for CUDA.

For parallelism we are going to go down two or three paths
simultaneously I think. One path will be OpenMP, a second will be CUDA
with NVIDIA assembly language too eventually, I think. There's also
the new Intel thing, is it still called Larrabee, for which we'll have
assembly code. So just as lots of different architectures are
supported at the CPU level, so different kinds of hardware will be
supported at the parallel level too, whether they be GPU's, combined
CPU/GPU's or even just multicore CPU's. Whatever we do it is going to
be an uphill battle. The big issue is that many basic multiprecision
operations take less time that starting a thread and often one has to
get all the data into the cores and back out again, which can take
more time than the actual computation.

All we can really do is see what is possible and release any code
which we can get to work efficiently.

Bill.