On Oct 19, 10:42 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 7:31 AM, David Harvey <dmhar...@cims.nyu.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 19, 4:47 am, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> I've just put up MPIR 1.3 release candidate 1. We are still waiting on some
> >> final testing from Jeff Gilchrist, which will probably happen tomorrow. If
> >> everything is fine, the release candidate will become the final release.
>
> > Wait a sec.... you are actually releasing my dc_divappr_q_n code, as
> > is, in a production release??!!
>
> > Despite our earlier conversation?
>
> > It's marked "trial implementation" and "proof-of-concept", and even
> > contains comments like
>
> > /* FIXME: hmmmm my test suite doesn't seem to generate this case,
> >       is it actually possible at all? */
>
> For fun, I tried to find your code by searching for FIXME and got:
>
> wst...@sage:~/tmp/mpir-1.3.0$ grep -r FIXME *|wc -l
> 365
>
> So there is something to fix every day next year...

William, it's difficult for me to take this comment seriously. There
is a big difference between a "FIXME" that means "something here is
suboptimal and could be done better" and a "FIXME" that means "this
code quite possibly has a bug because a certain case has not been
ruled out".

You take a remarkably cavalier attitude towards the correctness of
MPIR, considering how much the validity of your research results
depends on it.

david