On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:34 AM, David Harvey <dmhar...@cims.nyu.edu> wrote:

> On Oct 19, 11:19 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > William, it's difficult for me to take this comment seriously.
>>
>> Given that it is meant as a joke (which I hoped would be clear), I
>> hope you will not take it seriously.
>
> So, do you have a serious opinion on this issue? I happen to think
> it's quite serious. For one thing, MPIR's apparent policy on
> rebranding proof-of-concept code as production code is making me
> reconsider my policy of publicly sharing code like this (or maybe I've
> just learned a very important lesson about permissive software
> licensing).

My serious opinion regarding anybody's code going into any project is
that if they do not feel comfortable with it being released with that
project, then it definitely should not be released as part of said
project.    If at all possible, the wishes of the author should be
respected (permissive software licenses aside).     I fully understand
that you would be justifiably unhappy if in a few months, say, we find
some subtle bug in computation of Monsky-Washnitzer cohomology groups
(say), and it gets tracked back to "a bug in David Harvey's
dc_divappr_q_n code".

I'm optimistic that including this particular code for 1.3 is just an
honest misunderstanding and that this will all get sorted out.

 -- William