Did you rebuild MPIR. If so, perhaps gmp.h was regenerated overwriting
your change?

Certainly inserting the #define in gmp.h along with the existing
prototypes for mpz functions fixes the problem for me in projects
(including MPFR) which require that function.

I am pretty sure that is the right fix. Is it possible something
didn't rebuild correctly?

Bill.