Sorry Brian the last message I sent had incorrect information. I had re-extracted MPIR and forgot to reset which Windows SDK I was using. I have reset it now and under "Macros" I find "$(Windows SDKVersionOverride) v7.1".

Regards
Chris Saunders

From: "Cactus" <rieman...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2010 4:17 PM
To: "mpir-devel" <mpir-devel@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [mpir-devel] Re: Building MPIR for Windows x64 with Visual Studio 2010 Express

On Jun 13, 8:40 pm, "Chris Saunders" <e...@mountaincable.net> wrote:
I tried building gen-mpir alone and got this error:

1>------ Build started: Project: gen-mpir, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>  gen-mpir.c
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'kernel32.lib'
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Hi Chris

This is the error you need to concentrate on - its the only one that
matters right now - why does VC++ not find kernel32.lib.

I don't know where to find  "a public Visual C++ or Windows SDK forum" do
you?

You should try Google, it's very good at this sort of thing.  In this
case, if you do a google search on "windows 7 sdk forum" it will give
you an immediate answer.

In fact I have already emailed the guy to ask about the problem you
are seeing.

If I open Project->Properties->Configuration Properties->VC++ Directiories
below is what I see:

[snip]

This is the one that matters:

Library Directories:
$(VCInstallDir)lib\amd64;$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\lib\amd64;$(WindowsSdkDir)lič‹‘\x64;

and it is fine.  Can you go to this library path in the VC++ directory
property, right click on the down-arrow on the right of the item and
click 'edit' on the resulting dialog (you won't be editing, just
inspecting).  You can then click on the 'Macros' button to see what
the macro values are - in our case we need to know what the $
(WindowsSdkDir) macro is set to.  Mine is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\

You can then work out where kernel32.lib should be by adding 'lib\x64'
on the end, in my case:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\lib\x64

and see if kernel32.lib is present in this directory.