Looks like it may be an autotools problem in that it's not setting the path to
the shared library properly . There are later autotools available which may fix
this.

mpir-2.1 uses (from boxen)
libtool 1.5.26
autoconf 2.61
automake 1.10.1

mpir-2.2 uses (from eno)
libtool 2.2.6b
autoconf 2.65
automake 1.11.1

latest versions are
libtool 2.4
autoconf 2.68
automake 1.11.1

This may also fix the MinGW64 c++ shared library make check path issue.
I'll try the latest autotools for MPIR v2.3 and see if it fixes/breaks
anything.

Jason