Hi Jason,

I recommend you notepad2, http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html and wiki
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Notepad2 . It reads/saves
files with any line-ending you like (i.e. no more endless linux lines),
strip trailing blanks, replace tabs with spaces (or the other way around).
These options can be set as defaults.

It also does syntax highlighting of c/c++, asm etc etc...

The simplest is to replace the default windows notepad with notepad2. If you
are on 64-bit, you'll need to install/replace both 64- and 32-bit as when
called from som e process it will invoke the notepad version ( 32 or 64
bit) based on whether the process itself is 32 or 64 bit.
Instructions are on the web-site or take this one
http://code.kliu.org/misc/notepad2/ which has installation/replacement
packages. I've using the latter myself to all satisfaction. I'm using them
both on XP and W7 64-bit.

Best Regards

degski

PS: Dealing with another common annoyance on Windows in relation to linux
source files: below a registry entry that will add a file-type with no
extension defined as a text file. This is very handy when dealing with linux
source where there are many files without file-extension like README and so
on:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.]
"PerceivedType"="text"
@="txtfile"
"Content Type"="text/plain"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.\OpenWithProgids]
"VisualStudio.txt.10.0"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.\ShellNew]
"ItemName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,\

6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,\

00,6e,00,6f,00,74,00,65,00,70,00,61,00,64,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,2c,00,\
  2d,00,34,00,37,00,30,00,00,00
"NullFile"=""

Save in file with extension .reg -> right-click -> merge -> confirm ->
done...

Now double-clicking will open the README file in notepad2.