Well, I was right to be suspicious of the following change:

-           sed -n 's/[^G]*GLOBAL_FUNC[:space:]*\(.*\)/\1/p' $tmp_file
+            sed -n 's/^;[      ]*PROLOGUE(\([^,]*\).*)/\1/p' $tmp_file ;

I still don't understand what was intended here. I think the idea was
to give an alternative sed script for ripping PROLOGUE declarations,
probably due to some incompatibility on some systems. But instead of
adding the line it appears to have been written over the top of the
GLOBAL_FUNC line, which is definitely needed.

Adding it back in causes mpir to build correctly and pass its tests on
linux. This probably also fixes the issues we were having with MinGW
on the mpir-exp branch.

Bill.