On 31 July 2013 18:24, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpfl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm currently working on some pieces of the build system.
> I must admit I don't really like the fact that MPIR ships a modified yasm
> source tree.
> I think it would be cleaner, and easier to maintain, to ship a tarball and
> untar it, or to the least a vanilla source tree, possibly patch it and
> then configure/build it if needed (i already added options to use a
> system-wide or user-provided yasm, when autotools are used at least).

This should be possible. As far as I know the Windows MSVC build uses a
precompiled yasm, not the one in the tree, so everything should be fine if
yasm is built separately.

The downside is that GMP builds out-of-the-box without requiring one to
download a separate assembler. I would abandon yasm for *nix if it were not
for the fact that it is much easier for Brian Gladman to convert *nix
assembler to Windows format if it is already in Yasm format (Intel format
assembler is much more popular that AT&T format on Windows, I believe).

> A little like what we do in Sage when we patch upstream software (like
> MPIR!).
>
> Do you really need to pass specific options to yasm? or a "generic"
> (./configure && make) build would do?

I believe some options are necessarily passed to Yasm.

> That's important because the main modification I see is to let the
> autotools stuff recognize options given to MPIr and automatically passed to
> yasm.

I think the options are not the same as the ones passed to MPIR. But it is
such a long time since I worked on this, I don't recall the details.

> My other question is about the VS builds because I never tried them and
> feel completely incompetent.
> With VS, is yasm always built?

As far as I recall, the user downloads a special version of Yasm maintained
by Peter Tortall, installs that in a certain location on their Windows,
then builds MPIR in Visual Studio.

Bill.

Is it possible to let VS untar something? or does yasm directory have to be