Dear all,

I'm currently working on some pieces of the build system.
I must admit I don't really like the fact that MPIR ships a modified yasm
source tree.
I think it would be cleaner, and easier to maintain, to ship a tarball and
untar it, or to the least a vanilla source tree, possibly patch it and
then configure/build it if needed (i already added options to use a
system-wide or user-provided yasm, when autotools are used at least).
A little like what we do in Sage when we patch upstream software (like
MPIR!).

Do you really need to pass specific options to yasm? or a "generic"
(./configure && make) build would do?
That's important because the main modification I see is to let the
autotools stuff recognize options given to MPIr and automatically passed to
yasm.

My other question is about the VS builds because I never tried them and
feel completely incompetent.
With VS, is yasm always built? Is it possible to let VS untar something? or
does yasm directory have to be uncompressed?

Best,
JP