On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:26:04 PM UTC+2, Bill Hart wrote:

> On 31 July 2013 18:24, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpf...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm currently working on some pieces of the build system.
>> I must admit I don't really like the fact that MPIR ships a modified yasm
>> source tree.
>> I think it would be cleaner, and easier to maintain, to ship a tarball
>> and untar it, or to the least a vanilla source tree, possibly patch it and
>> then configure/build it if needed (i already added options to use a
>> system-wide or user-provided yasm, when autotools are used at least).
>>

> This should be possible. As far as I know the Windows MSVC build uses a
> precompiled yasm, not the one in the tree, so everything should be fine if
> yasm is built separately.
>
> The downside is that GMP builds out-of-the-box without requiring one to
> download a separate assembler. I would abandon yasm for *nix if it were not
> for the fact that it is much easier for Brian Gladman to convert *nix
> assembler to Windows format if it is already in Yasm format (Intel format
> assembler is much more popular that AT&T format on Windows, I believe).

I didnot mean to not ship Yasm anymore, rather to ship a vanilla one,
either through a tarball or through a source tree (as of now, but without
modification if possible).
Then updating Yasm would be trivial (ok, you might have to rename a
tarball/directory, or modify a string somewhere).

>> A little like what we do in Sage when we patch upstream software (like
>> MPIR!).
>>
>> Do you really need to pass specific options to yasm? or a "generic"
>> (./configure && make) build would do?
>>

> I believe some options are necessarily passed to Yasm.

With the current setup everything is passed verbatim ... whence the need to
modify yasm build system, because the vanilla build system will error out
if unrecognized option (let's say --enable-gmpcompat) are passed.

It's possible to make it so that the top level configure option are
discarded when going into a subdir.
It's more of an hack than a real option of autotools but should avoid to
modify yasm build system.
That's what I had in mind and why I was asking if there were situation
where option passed to the main configure script were really relevant to
yasm (from what I've seen it's not the case, on the contrary we have to
modify yasm so that it lives with MPIR superfluous options).

>> That's important because the main modification I see is to let the
>> autotools stuff recognize options given to MPIr and automatically passed to
>> yasm.
>>

> I think the options are not the same as the ones passed to MPIR. But it is
> such a long time since I worked on this, I don't recall the details.
>

>> My other question is about the VS builds because I never tried them and
>> feel completely incompetent.
>> With VS, is yasm always built?
>

> As far as I recall, the user downloads a special version of Yasm
> maintained by Peter Tortall, installs that in a certain location on their
> Windows, then builds MPIR in Visual Studio.
>
> That would be good news for me!
(Though it seems that building MPIR under VS is harder than on Linux!)