On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:28:02 PM UTC+2, Bill Hart wrote:

> On 31 July 2013 21:06, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpf...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>> Bonus question: what are the differences betwen the x86 and x86w dirs
>> (and subdirs) (and x86_64 and x86_64w dirs (and subdirs))?
>>

> The w is for Windows.

Yup I got that :)

The ABI is different, so all the assembly needs to be rewritten.

>> On plain x86, is it only the asm syntax?
>>

> I don't recall. I doubt it.
>

>From the very few things I read, it seemed the x86 syntax was similar (or
you could choose a common one at least among the several available
ones...), but I may be wrong obviously...

> So that YASM gets used everywhere for the x86w dir, whereas GNU as gets
>> also used for the x86 dir?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> (And for x86_64w I guess the very nice idea of having different ABI on
>> Linux and Windows also comes into play...)
>>

> Yes.
>

>> I could have a look myself, but I'm sure some of you can give a very nice
>> explanation!
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Best,
>>
>> JP
>>
>> Additional bonus question: among the mingw flavours, which are supported
>> (or known to work)? I mean among legacy mingw(32), i686-w64-mingw and
>> x86_64-w64-mingw?
>> From very quick testing, I'd say the latter (kind of) work, the middle
>> one does not, and I did not test the first one (Ubuntu does not want to
>> install both falvours at the same time! it seems that Debian is nicer
>> though).
>

> None are supported or known to work. They keep breaking it, every single
> version.

Ok, that's clear.

So you should be happy to now that building a 64 bits MPIR with mingw64
seems to produced something usable!