Craig's suggestion that individuals get more involved in the local rental
market (via purchase, rehab and becoming a landlord), represents a totally
different proposition than Jan's suggestion that neighborhood groups get
involved in the local rental marketplace as owners/managers via the use of
public funds (i.e. NRP dollars).  While I applaud such private initiatives,
I am opposed to the latter.

I feel that such a decentralized approach to publicly funded housing efforts
would likely result in mismanagement, fraud, lawsuits, and a generally
inefficient use of 'public' housing funds.  Any use of NRP funds for
'affordable housing initiatives' should require the involvement of
responsible, coordinated, consistent, insured and experienced management
entities (public or private) that have fiduciary responsibility and
accountability.  These efforts should not be managed by volunteer and
part-time staff lacking adequate training and experience.  And needless to
say, the NRP funds should be leveraged to the maximum extent possible.  Much
of the Phase II NRP money will be channeled into 'targeted efforts' where
regular city department/agency budgets are lacking-- this should not result
in any lack in management oversight or added overhead.

At the recent NRP Neighborhoods Conference, I attended a workshop on
'funding affordable housing projects' that included a panel of nine
different local, state and federal funding sources including a Hennepin
County Commissioner.  All had their separate rules and regulatory hoops and
administrative overhead to contend with-- which, to my mind, also results in
inefficient use of public resources to meet a significant problem.  Why
can't these redundant and bureaucratic programs be streamlined to target
affordable housing initiative in our neighborhoods throughout the metro
region (and across the country) in a more cost-effective manner?  Cut the
red tape and start building homes!!

And lastly-- as the slumping economy creates havoc and thousands of private
sector employees are laid off daily, I urge the public sector to streamline
programs and eliminate redundant, administrative overhead (yes, this may
entail layoffs).  Reduce the red tape and encourage private sector
involvement/collaboration in meeting public needs.

Michael Hohmann
13th Ward
http://www2.visi.com/mahco

snip