For those of you with short memories, the reason why there is a problem  this year with the Mpls City Council is that previously CMs ran every two years.  With that there was absolutely no problem with redistricting.  It was in 1993, just before they left office, that the Council changed terms to four years, but the terms were staggered - odd/even depending on the ward number.  Then, about three years later, CM Niland offered a charter change that the terms of CMs would be concurrent with the Mayor.  That, in essense, changed all terms to be four years with no staggered terms.

At the time, I'm not sure that anyone thought about the impact that would have after redistricting.  That's why we find ourselves in the dilemma we're in today.  The charter should have been changed concerning redistricting and CM terms at the same time as terms were changed.

Karen Collier
Linden Hills