Bert Black wrote:

 "Given that inevitability, why not have legislation?"

That's a good question, but it isn't the only one I'd like to have answered.
Here are the others, for me:

1) Why not have legislation (or the city version of that word) come from the
city level?  If the need for a new election in 2003 is as inevitable as Bert
says, I think we should be able to count on our current council to see that.
Whether the State has the legal authority to set our election agenda, is it
right, or even good policy, for them to do so?  Though the bill's author is
a Minneapolis resident, my understanding is that the Senate sponsor is not,
and the vast majority of the two houses are not.  And the unfriendliness of
the current house to the interests of Minneapolis is famous on this list.

2) I'd really like an answer from Representative Kahn (who up until Sunday
was my State Rep, for whom I have cast votes in the past) to the question
I've read on here numerous times now: why did you not bring this legislation
before the last election?

Robin Garwood
One of the newest additions to the Seward neighborhood