OK, one .ttf is worth a thousand words... ;)

you (as well as everybody else) can download my attempts so far from:

http://vistamaremusica.com/extras/FreeSans.ttf

and

http://vistamaremusica.com/extras/FreeSerif.ttf

Both kerns correctly in my MuseScore and contain all the original data. I
didn't try *all* the kerning pairs, of course, as many are not easy to spot
visually, but the most obvious ones ("AV", "VA", and on Serif, "rj") do
kern.

I downloaded the latest FreeFont sources and they have perhaps more glyphs
but still have the same problems 'our' older sources have. The fonts linked
above come from 'our' older sources.

Thanks,

Maurizio