] That is not my impression. My impression is that Nishi is very enthusiastic.
] But I cannot explain his contradicting remarks.
Dear all,

As you could already have read approximately one year ago in the section
"Japanese MSX news by Ikeda" on "The MSX Plaza", Mr. Nishi is indeed very
enthousiastic about MSX. But he is only enthousiastic on a personal title. On
the other hand, ASCII corporation is a commercial company with a not-so-good
financial position. So, ASCII corporation must be very carefull and can not
effort to loose money on making a new MSX if the new MSX would turn out to be
a failure. Therefore, one year ago, they already made up a very carefull
roadmap, which can be summarised as follows:
Step 1: make a new MSX magazin.
Step 2: make an MSX emulator and set-up a software vending system on the
internet.
Step 3: make a new MSX

Now, one year later, we can see that ASCII has really taken steps to stick to
this roadmap.

Step 1: the new MSX magazin from ASCII is reality. It exists.
Step 2: the new MSX emulator seems to be being worked on. Also, ASCII seems
to have been talking with Konami and others to make the old MSX software
available for the internet vending system.
Step 3: this is currently being worked on by amateur groups, which do have
the permission from ASCII to use MSX roms, etc. And apparently, ASCII is in
discussion with Sega for mass-production.

What ASCII also said that step 2 would depend on the succes of step 1 and
step 3 would depend on the success of step 2.

So, the new MSX is not a reality. Not yet. And there is still a big chance
that it will never become a reality.

And for the rest, the bla bla about MSX in refrigerators, etc: there is
already a big consensus in the IT sector about the fact that household
appliances like refrigerators, televisions, etc will get more intelligence
and will be hooked-up to the internet. For example so that the refrigerator
can order new bottles of milk when you are almost running out of stock... Too
make this kind of intelligence affordable, you must have standardised
(single-chip) solutions that can be mass-produced. Which was exactly one of
the requirements behind the MSX system back in the 80's of the previous
century. So, it is rather logical to extend this idea of a standardised home
computer system to the idea of a standardised internet-enabled household
appliances system...

Kind regards,
Alex Wulms

--
Visit The MSX Plaza (http://www.inter.nl.net/users/A.P.Wulms) for info on
XelaSoft, Merlasoft, Quadrivium, SD-Snatcher on fMSX, the MSX Hardware list,

****
Problems? contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] See also http://www.faq.msxnet.org/