Hi,

> > Hmmm what's the best emulator currently available for Linux (in source
> > code) ?? I just received my Playstation 2 Linux Kit and want to do some
> > recompiling :)
> I know the following MSX emulators for Linux:
> - fMSX from Marat
> - fMSX-SDL (not sure if code is already available)
> - MESS (MSX1 only)
> - Zodiac (I don't know the status, look at SourceForge)
> - openMSX (most MSX2 features implemented)
> There may be more, does anyone (Sander?) know?
> For the PS2 Linux I think openMSX is a good choice, because it has both
SDL
> and OpenGL renderers. I read that PS2 Linux has an SDL port and also has a
> mini-GL library. So you can try both and see which works best.

Hmmm I've tried the standard Unix version of fMSX.. It compiled okay but
said it couldn't open a window in X-Window... From what I've heard mini-GL
comes in the form of Mesa which isn't too optimised yet for the PS2
hardware.... The main 300 Mhz CPU isn't too powerfull (about 200-300 Mhz
Pentium with gcc compiled standard stuff).. The power lies in the Video
Units (VU ?) which can do video related mathematics very quickly.. If they
aren't used an Open-GL implementation doesn't really make sense IMHO..

Anyhow I'll try them all :)....

> On PC the GL renderer works pretty well (if you have decent hardware
> acceleration, such as nVidia's drivers). For example, in SCREEN2 every 8*8
> block is a texture and the screen is drawn by texture mapping squares with
> the right textures. It uses very little CPU time or bus bandwith. In
OpenGL
> it's also relatively cheap to use interpolation, draw scanlines or use
alpha
> blended overlays (these are planned but not implemented yet).
>
> If interested, look at http://openmsx.sourceforge.net/
> The current CVS version has much better GL support than the latest
release.

.... and that URL I was looking for ! :)...

Thanks a lot for the quick reply..