Regarding reverbs, one classic element is the Schroeder allpass:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Schroeder_Allpass_Sections.html  You
can use it to smear a signal without any constructive or destructive
interference.  Generally speaking this lack of "color" is a disadvantage,
but for your application it's probably very desirable.

Another observation:

It works well on simple signals
> but on something not perfectly periodic like a guitar chord it always
> has the rhythmic noise of a poor loop.

It's generally easier to recognize artifacts when they repeat at regular
intervals.  If you're taking the granular approach, I suggest randomizing
as much as possible.  If you want to avoid interference between the grains,
try to synchronize them based on a cross-correlation
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-correlation>.

– Evan Balster
creator of imitone <http://imitone.com>