I never tried the Freeverb algorithm.
Just form inspecting the flow chart I suspect its rather colored with all the comb filters.

A classical reverb algorithm would be the allpass diffusors inside a comb filter loop like this

Input -> +-> AP -> AP -> AP -> Delay -> Feedback -> Out

search for Datorro Effects Design for an example of this

Designing reverbs is a huge topic of its own, what you also can try is an FDN (Feedback Delay Network) structure, with the delays tuned to very low pitches spaced in semitones
which will give an effect similar to that of open strings in a piano