Probably shouldn't reveal too much of the detail, but it likely comes as no surprise that the tradeoff between time and frequency resolution is critical in systems that have limited CPU horsepower. The FFTs in this case do run in the audio processing thread which is synchronous to the buffer processing rate.

I'd love to have a go at doing this kind of stuff on something like a SHARC where 16kpt FFTs are apparently easy to do at audio rates...

Eric

On 09/16/2016 11:15 AM, Giulio Moro wrote:
Nice that it runs on the M4F, what FFT size, overlap and audio
processing block size are you using? Are you running the FFT in a
separate thread?

Giulio

    *From:* Eric Brombaugh <ebrombau...@cox.net>
    *To:* music-dsp@music.columbia.edu
    *Sent:* Friday, 16 September 2016, 19:12
    *Subject:* Re: [music-dsp] Help with "Sound Retainer"/Sostenuto Effect

    I coded up the spectral freeze core of the Audio Damage "Spectre"
    module
    in a similar way:

    http://www.audiodamage.com/hardware/product.php?pid=ADM15

    It's a basic phase vocoder with forward and inverse FFTs but we added
    some fun little tweaks to shift, stretch and randomize the spectrum. It
    runs nicely on an STM32F405 ARM Cortex M4F processor.