Wow, thanks all for the replies!

If I used a reverb would it end up giving the sustained voice too much
character? I was thinking of taking freeverb and removing the comb
filters and just using the allpass filters with 100% feedback thinking
it would make it a "cleaner" sustain. I'm leaning this way because I'd
like to keep it lightweight and I think this will be less overhead
than a phase vocoder. Is that a naive approach?

Thanks again,
_Spencer