That makes great sense, I agree. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chris
Bransden
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:32 AM
To: MusicBrainz style discussion
Subject: Re: [mb-style] RFC: Dealing with translations and transliterations

On 14/06/06, Dustin B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There's no reason to throw away good info right now just because we're
> confused with what to do with it, or worse disagree with it because it
> doesn't make the database "pretty".  Remember the goal is the ultimate
> repository of music releases

my concern is that these *aren't* music releases. infact i've never
really seen the point of transliterations, as i feel the english (or
other) version of the trackname is trivia, rather than something you'd
want to look at. after all, all other aspects of the release (lyrics
etc) will presumably be in the offending language, so i'm not sure
it's worth doing. plus i prefer seeing things in the language of
origin, even if it is all squiggles to me :)

but i appreciate that other people want them, so fair enough in them
being added, and i agree that the next steps need to be to make an AR
to link them to the original, and then hide, or otherwise seperate
unofficial transliterations from official releases.

also i think the transliteration AR should have an 'official' or
'unofficial' attribute, to seperate releases that have different
titles on the sleeve depending on what market they are in. 'official'
transliterations shouldn't be hidden/seperated from the official
releases.

chris / gecks