On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 02:01:29PM +0200, Simon Reinhardt wrote:
> This point is a bit hazy to me.

Feel free to rephrase it.

> What about cases where the official release of a Japanese band is in
> English/Latin and someone creates a virtual Japanese/Kana duplicate?

Then the Japanese/Kana version isn't an official track listing and thus
doesn't count in the versions we can choose from!

> But what if there are several official ones of which none can be seen as
> most "native"?

Example? Last time the discussion died because people brought up
theoretical problems which, as I said, doesn't do anything for the *real*
cases we have. Anyway, these are only guidelines. We can't possibly cater
for every single case. If someone comes along and finds it hard to apply
the guideline to the data, they're free to work out what *does* work (and
that applies to all of the guidelines). I'm merely giving something which
works for nearly all the cases we have already.

> I would like to hear more about those tricky examples. :)

The only one I'm really at all familiar with is China Dolls [1]. They're a
duo from Thailand, one is half Chinese, one is half Taiwanese. They have
official releases in Thai, Chinese and Japanese. If two of these happen to
share the same songs in the same order, there would be two official
versions which the transliterations and translations could link to. It's
all theoretical because I don't even know if two releases share the exact
same songs in the same order. We only have 4 distinct albums (plus 1
transliteration) for them anyway, so all the possible transliterations and
translations are just some sort of straw man or something.

--Nikki

1 http://musicbrainz.org/artist/db695488-b587-4349-8aa1-da3ab8a5f0ff.html