On 6/18/06, Schika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In my very first reply I had a single in my hands I got as promo - it
sounds really shit and I wouldn't buy an album from this artist if
they would make one. However, here's the track list again:

1. "Title (XY remix)"
2. "Title (original mix)"
3. "Title (album mix)"
4. "Title"
5. "Title (AV radio edit)"

All versions have different track durations and sounds different, but
the essential question is: what is the "original" version? track 2, 3
or 4 ?
If I would get the album to compare each version, and find out that
track 3 is exactly the same as on this single, then should I strip
track 3 title to "Title". But now what's the title of track 4 and who
decides how this unlabeld other version should be named?
Not to mention the confusion if track 2 would be on the artist album.

I don't claim to know what to do for *every* specific case, but I'm
sure someone who knows the artist well can propose a reasonable
solution.  Like I said earlier, I'd say go ahead and leave (album
mix/version) if it causes trouble, but in clear cut cases where the
single has a tracklist like:

1. X (album version)
2. X (remix)
3. Y
4. Z

... and X was originally released as a professional, commercially
available recording then the (album version) should be dropped to show
this relationship plainly.

Regards,
--
-Aaron