On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 01:43:05AM +0200, Bogdan Butnaru wrote:
> How can we then look at a collection of all the songs in one of
> Billboard's (*) tops and dismiss it as a "homebrew" just because it
> was not released on a physical bootleg CD from Russia(**),  but
> through a torrent? I have seen almost-one-year-old torrents of such
> collections that still had 500+ downloaders. Not to mention that it
> is, in fact, a collection of the best-sold music of the times, which
> is not a very arbitrary criterion.

So are you for adding:
   Billboard's Top 1000 Singles 1955-2000 ASIN:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0634020021
   Billboard's Top 1000 Singles 1955-1987 ASIN:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0881889636
   Billboard's Top 1000 Singles 1955-1992 ASIN:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793573629
   Billboard's Top 1000 Hits of the Rock Era 1955-2005  ASIN:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1423409191
   Billboard's Top Pop Singles 1955-2002  ASIN:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0898201551

Etc etc etc...

The problem is that there are 779 matches for books with "Billboard Top"
as the search term at Amazon.

That is, for some pieces, hundreds of PUID collisions.  "Oh, you have
a copy of Roy Orbison's :Crying:?  Guess which of the hundreds of
releases it is on..."

Even with 1000 tracks, which 1000 tracks is it?  The 1987 list?  1992?
2000?  2005?  Is it the Pop Singles or just Singles?  Or maybe it
is "Hits"...

> Such a collection is, I insist, worthy of MusicBrainz, both as a
> tagging database and as a discographic database. (In fact, I'd even
> agree with adding at least some of Billboard's tops even if there was
> not, in fact, a torrent containing the songs.) I think we should make
> this part of the guidelines.

Of course, since the list by Billboard Magazine is not technically
pure facts: they are not the "best selling hits," (though certainly
most are... they are not listed in the order of sales, but in the order
that some editor believes is important), it is questionable legally
if recording the list would be a violation of Billboard's copyright.

You can't copyright a collection of facts in an obvious order: but
you -can- copyright a collection of facts in a creative order, which
is exactly what Billboard has done with most of these (in these days
of whatever-it-is-that-comes-after "double-platinum," there would be
no songs from the 50's represented if it was merely based on units
sold).

I would bet Billboard Magazine would not be thrilled to see the books
that they publish listed all over the place.

Billboard -does- have audio cd's which would qualify for here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000033KZ for example (50 tracks
      on 5 CD's)
or  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000033KO (also 50 tracks on 5
CD's)

and 148 others matching at Amazon...

Those I would have no problem with.

I -would- have a problem if someone took one of those 5 CD sets, removed
the TPOS or '(disc 1)' or DISCNUMBER or whatever you want to call it, and
just numbered the tracks 1 to 50 and pretended it was a real release.

I bet you would have a problem with that too.

How is this "Top 100" any different?

And if "Top 100" is okay, is "Top 1000" okay too?