As long as there are yes and no votes it will go the length of the voting
cycle.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Aaron
Cooper
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:20 PM
To: MusicBrainz style discussion
Subject: Re: [mb-style] Billboard's "top whatever"

On 7/25/06, Chris Bransden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 26/07/06, Bogdan Butnaru <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I start this thread because of (1) and to a related thread on the
> > user's list. I started it here because I think this is a guideline
> > issue and we need to discuss as such. I encountered  similar
> > situations before.
> >
> > (1) http://musicbrainz.org/show/edit/?editid=5258089
> >
> > The current guidelines say rather flatly that homebrews are
> > discouraged. I think we should at least change that formula to an
> > explicitly more flexible version. Perhaps even add an "internet
> > bootleg release" rule, separately.
> >
> > I stated this in a (less organized) note on the edit above: homebrews
> > and most torrents are random collections of songs of no musical
> > interest except to a very small number of people, and for a short
> > time.
> >
> > But that doesn't mean all home-burnt CDs and music .torrents are
> > uninteresting for MB. We do keep in the database demo tapes that were
> > released by some obscure band thirty years ago, when they were even
> > more obscure, in 200 copies, on tapes, recorded in their basements.
> > And we (at least I) care for them and consider them important (or at
> > least interesting) pieces of discographic history.
> >
> > How can we then look at a collection of all the songs in one of
> > Billboard's (*) tops and dismiss it as a "homebrew" just because it
> > was not released on a physical bootleg CD from Russia(**),  but
> > through a torrent? I have seen almost-one-year-old torrents of such
> > collections that still had 500+ downloaders. Not to mention that it
> > is, in fact, a collection of the best-sold music of the times, which
> > is not a very arbitrary criterion.
>
> but where's the line between arbitrary and non-arbitrary? where's the
> line between popular and non-popular (and how do you really measure
> that on the internet anyway? torrents are the only method of
> distribution, and aren't centralised anyway)? surely any criteria is
> worthy of indexing if it's popular, and if, say, one were to compile a
> torrent of the top 100 of 1978 in iceland it would be as non-arbitrary
> as the case above.
>
> IMO you can't make rules about this sort of thing, so it's best to say
> "everything goes" (freedb...) or "only these concrete cases" (current
> system).
>
> > Such a collection is, I insist, worthy of MusicBrainz, both as a
> > tagging database and as a discographic database. (In fact, I'd even
> > agree with adding at least some of Billboard's tops even if there was
> > not, in fact, a torrent containing the songs.)
>
> you'd index a criteria of music, despite this not neccesarily being
> released in any form?!

It's released in list form. :)

I wonder if we could suspend the edit in question
(http://musicbrainz.org/show/edit/?editid=5258089) so as to not waste
the time of haeretik, who added the release.  Can we all change to
Abstain until this discussion is completed?

--
-Aaron