On 13/02/2008, Brian Schweitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Box Sets, aka: what defines a unique classical release?
>
> This one is a pain, but not just in classical.  In classical, though,
> we tend to run into it a LOT more - Led Zep may put out one or two box
> sets, whereas the same classical CD may be re-re-re-re-released in
> many many box sets.
>
> 1 Label A releases a classical CD.
> 2 Label B licenses that classical CD and includes it as disc 6 of a box set.
> 3 Label A releases a box set, also including that CD.
> 4 Label C licenses that CD and includes it as disc 9 of a box set.
> 5 Label B releases that CD again, this time as disc 97 of a huge box
> set which includes the earlier box set.
> 6 Label D licenses that CD and reissues it again as a new single CD.
> 7 Label A re-issues that CD.
> 8 Label C licenses that CD and includes it as disc 73 of a huge box set.
> etc.
>
> To put this in perspective, think of label A as BIS, label B as
> Philips, label C as Brilliant Classics, and label D as Naxos.
>
> I've thought a lot about this one...  My suggestion:
>
> I'd suggest that, for the single CD, whether it's the original label A
> release, the label A re-release, or the label D release, we consider
> those all the same.  This is essentially how we handle similar issues
> elsewhere in the database already.
>
> I'd suggest, for the box sets, we keep it to the largest box set per label.
> So, Philips releases a 9 CD "The Complete Symphonies" box.
> Philips then releases a 20 CD "The Complete Orchestral Works" box
> which includes all of the 9 CD box.
> Philips then releases a 180 CD "Complete Works" box which includes the
> 20 CD box.
> We use the 180 CD box set as the only Philips box set listing for that
> CD, listing the alternate box set titles in the annotation.
>
> This way, we'd have the same CD only a manageable number of times:
> * the single CD release (#'s 1, 6, and 7)
> * the box set from label A (# 3)
> * the box set from label B (#'s 2 and 5)
> * the box set from label C (#'s 4 and 8)
>
> In this way, even if the list grew to 20 or 30 possible listings,
> they'd all fall into one of 5 possibles:
> * single CD release
> * box set from A
> * box set from B
> * box set from C
> * box set from D
> and we'd just be accumulating more and more "alternate possible box
> set titles" for each of the specific label box set listings, rather
> than having 20 or 30 different possible listings for what is otherwise
> the exact same CD.

why treat classical box sets any different to normal box sets?

if released separately: don't add the box set
if only released in boxset: add the box set
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/BoxSetNameStyle

if part released only in the box set, and part not, add the whole box
set for context
(my interpretation of what we seem to do in these cases)