Brian:

Brian Schweitzer wrote:

> I'm not disagreeing with you - if it's released separately, add just the
> standalone release.  If it's added in a box, add the box.
>
> The problem I'm describing is the cases like the Brilliant Classics
> Master Composers series, or the Philips and Brilliant Classics
> Complete Edition box sets....
> ...[snip]...
> I'm suggesting that, in these cases, all the standalones list as one
> listing, and for the boxes, so long as it still is the same label, all
> combine into the largest set - so in this case, the 45, the 17, and
> the half-the-series would all be listed once, as part of the complete
> series box.  If another label - Brilliant Classics, for example - then
> licenses that CD for a different BC box, that too gets a separate
> listing, within the same "largest BC box" concept. ...

I'm not following the explanation above, frankly.  Even reading the example
I snipped out, I'm not following the explanation.

What really want to understand, and don't, is what steps a contributor
should take, who has a box set in their hand, and no clue about other
releases or box sets.

How will they know what existing MB entries to look for?  What should they
do with them if they find them?

How will they know which of the CDs in the box have been released in the
past?  How will they know how to group the CDs?  What text on the box or in
the insert do they look for?

-----
     -- http://jdlh.com/ Jim DeLaHunt , Vancouver, Canada  •
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/JimDeLaHunt