On Feb 13, 2008 1:54 AM, Brian Schweitzer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1 Label A releases a classical CD.
> 2 Label B licenses that classical CD and includes it as disc 6 of a box set.
> 3 Label A releases a box set, also including that CD.
> 4 Label C licenses that CD and includes it as disc 9 of a box set.
> 5 Label B releases that CD again, this time as disc 97 of a huge box
> set which includes the earlier box set.
> 6 Label D licenses that CD and reissues it again as a new single CD.
> 7 Label A re-issues that CD.
> 8 Label C licenses that CD and includes it as disc 73 of a huge box set.
> etc.
I know it's annoying, but until we'll get the NGS, I think it wouldn't
necessarily be a very bad thing to have all the box sets in the
database.

So, in cases where there is _really_ the same material (no
remastering, etc), I'd have:
   - Every release of a disc that has a different title separately.
This means 1, 6 and 7, unless titled differently, would get a single
entry, with three release dates (and labels, cat#s, etc). The rest
will get a separate release, titled according to BoxSetStyle (unless a
disc would have the same name according to two box sets, where it gets
one entry with two release dates). The tracks will be named
identically for all releases.
   - _All_ ARs except "is a later release of" would be made only to
the first release of a certain CD. (Even those found out on later
releases, since the audio is the same).
   - _All_ releases of a CD get the "later release of" AR pointing to
that first release.
   - Beg Lukáš to add to Picard a feature that gets ARs off of
"earliest release of" an album and applies them to the one tagged. (It
needs only check that the number of tracks and the track names and
maybe lengths or even PUIDs are identical.)
   - Beg Brian to write a user script that clones a CD. This includes
track names and lengths, but not ARs and release dates. It can also
create the "earliest release" AR. The release title is set according
to the one on its respective release.

The reasoning behind all this is that someone who has any of the
releases can just pick the one they want. Though Brian's proposal is
more efficient, my problem is (and I've met with it often) that it can
be very hard to find the real release you're looking for. So in his
example, if I had release 3, it can be hard to notice that it's
actually the same as one of the 100 discs in release 8. There's also
the added annoyance that if I have a five-disc box set, I'll be told
by the tagger and the CD player that they're discs 4, 31, 32, 33 and
71 of some box I've never heard of.

There's another option: Add an optional text attribute to the release
date, called something like "released as". So for re-releases (in box
sets or not), we can just have changed titles. Picard already allows
the user to pick the release info from an album's right-click menu.
This would be very very useful for all re-releases, not just
classical. (The many albums with 'bonus'/'limited releases' come to
mind.) Devs, how hard would that be?

> and we'd just be accumulating more and more "alternate possible box
> set titles" for each of the specific label box set listings, rather
> than having 20 or 30 different possible listings for what is otherwise
> the exact same CD.

I had the impression we'd only get around a dozen entries, are there
really cases with 20 or 30 different releases? (As opposed two
multiple releases of the same box set, which I presume would just get
multiple release dates.) Also, are really all 80 discs of the big box
set released in a dozen versions, or just the most popular?

--
Bogdan Butnaru — [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I think I am a fallen star, I should wish on myself." – O.