> >     I know, I should have phrased the question differently. How about
> this:
> >     When are we dealing with "plain" conductor (not guest, not chief)?
> You
> >     could argue that if you're not employed (as chiefconductor), then
> you're
> >     a guest conductor?
> >
> >     /symphonick
> >

> > No, because they cuold also be just a 'conductor'; 'chief' (aka
> > 'principal' ) is a title.  A conductor emeritus is neither guest nor
> > principal, and none of these - a cohabitating conductor-in-residence,
> > and secondary/tertiary conductors for an opera (or large work, such as
> > the 1812 overture, which can have 2+ conductors) - would be guest,
> > principal, or emeritus.  The person's title can also just be (and
> > frequently is) 'conductor'.
> >
> > Brian
> >

> Heavy stuff :-( Just to clarify, this was regarding artist-artist ARs.
> Let's see if we can sorten this out, I'm still somewhat lost...
>
> Foo is/was conductor for group A
> Boo is/was chiefconductor for group B
> Moo is/was guestconductor for group M
>
> artist-artist, has nothing to do with who conducted what on a specific
> release. As I understand: "what is/was this artist position in that group"
>
> Foo conducted Track 1
> Goo guest-conducted Track 2
>
> This is what we have for artist-track (& I don't approve of GC-track
> unless "Guest" is written in the credits on the release - and so far I
> haven't seen it done - anyone?)

Just to clarify,

Going down the possibilities, in order from a brand new conductor to one
who's at/past retirement,

(artist-artist)

Foo is/was an assistant conductor for Bar
Foo is/was an associate conductor for Bar
Foo is/was a conductor for Bar
Foo is/was a principal conductor for Bar
Foo is/was a conductor emeritus for Bar
----
Foo is/was an assistant {{instrument}} conductor for Bar
Foo is/was an ssociate {{instrument}} conductor for Bar
Foo is/was a {{instrument}} conductor for Bar

The other two potential attribute combinations wouldn't make sense, but
would be:
Foo is/was a principal {{instrument}}  conductor for Bar
Foo is/was a {{instrument}} conductor emeritus for Bar

At the moment, I have no 'guest' attribute on the artist-artist AR, as that
seems a function of the recording, not a position with another group.  (And
'principal' is I think clearer than 'chief'.)

Some groups may not have more than a single conductor - so assistant,
associate, and principal would get skipped; it's more when you get to the
really large and well known orchestras, or opera companies, that those
become important.  The same for 'emeritus' - it's primarily an honorary
title in most cases, and again, that seems to be the case for larger
orchestras/etc - for smaller orchestras, they typically just retire
entirely, rather than still holding an honorary title.

(artist-track/release)

Foo additionally conducted track/release
Foo conducted track/release
(plus the instrument, vocal, and orchestra combinations of the above.)

At the moment,
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:Conductor_Relationship_Type_Proposaldoesn't
include guest (see my comment on that elsewhere, a few days ago.)
So you would also add 'guest' as an attribute of the artist-track/release AR
(I'd agree), or also of the artist-artist AR (as you say, that sounds
confusing).

Thanks,
Brian