On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 21:03 +0100, Nikki wrote:
> The other thing (and this is more a question for Calvin ;)), if
> instrumental and karaoke are separate, should a Japanese
> karaoke/instrumental track that's completely instrumental still use
> "karaoke"*? I would hope so, since I don't want to have to listen to
> every single track just to find out whether backing vocals were left in
> or not before I can add a relationship...
>
> * not including those where there is a distinction between karaoke and
> instrumental of course

I don't really have any set rules on how I've been handling this, and at
the moment it relies on listening to the tracks, but here goes:

The specific thing that I use to identify a karaoke track is that the
vocal melody line has been removed; but has not been replaced with
anything else. This leaves the song feeling incomplete.

An instrumental version is typically a slightly altered arrangement,
with at the very least an instrumental portion replacing the vocal
melody.

An example of both versions shows up in
http://musicbrainz.org/release/a9f14b0f-634a-42af-8fbd-0bf9ff636da6.html
where track 5 is a karaoke version of track 1 (The only change is the
removal of lead vocals). However, track 4 is actually an instrumental
version of track 2, where the vocal melody has been replaced. They do
credit them differently, at least.

One thing I think is that any proposed relation should be general enough
to handle a few more interesting cases, e.g. the first 4 tracks of
http://musicbrainz.org/release/60bfbf7c-fbc1-4c32-b9e0-d6164530706a.html
Which have one of the /instruments/ removed from the track with the
intention that you could play along. (Sheet music for the track was
included), or
http://musicbrainz.org/release/66e18211-0675-42dc-b128-2a09575a9791.html
Where each of the tracks removes the contribution of one person from the
mix; vocals, guitar, drums, etc.

--
kepstin
Calvin Walton <calvin.wal...@gmail.com>