Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

> Hmm, would work. It would need renaming to "X is an instrumental version of
> Y", but would work. Maybe "X is [an a cappella / an instrumental / a
> karaoke] version of Y" could be made to encompass it all? I'm putting
> "karaoke" by itself because I suspect they are credited as such and might be
> nice to have them like that. Are there karaoke versions which do have
> vocals, but mixed down so they are just like background for helping you
> sing? I'd swear I saw that somewhere, but maybe it was in some movie and
> they don't actually exist. If they do, maybe "X is [an a cappella / an
> instrumental] [karaoke] version of Y" could be used instead. Can this be
> done?

Like Calvin said, some karaoke versions do have backing vocals (but not
all of them). The way they're credited varies, both "instrumental" and
"karaoke" are common (as well as other things), and just because it says
"instrumental" it doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any backing
vocals. Occasionally there are singles which contain both a karaoke and
an instrumental version though.

I'm not entirely sure what you're suggesting for the relationships...
One relationship with three attributes?

Do we want to distinguish between tracks which are just the
vocal/instrumental parts of a recording and completely new performances
which just happen to be a cappella or instrumental?
If we do, we need to figure out how to try and avoid people using the
wrong relationships. I think it would be easier in NGS since the
vocal/instrumental parts could be linked using recording-recording
relationships, and new performances could be linked using work-recording
relationships, but still, it seems like it would be easy for people to
use the wrong one.

The other thing (and this is more a question for Calvin ;)), if
instrumental and karaoke are separate, should a Japanese
karaoke/instrumental track that's completely instrumental still use
"karaoke"*? I would hope so, since I don't want to have to listen to
every single track just to find out whether backing vocals were left in
or not before I can add a relationship...

* not including those where there is a distinction between karaoke and
instrumental of course

> All this is a (quite nice) way to solve a problem that I didn't realize we
> had before, which leaves the two original problems still standing. What do
> we do with remixes where the whole music changes keeping only the vocals, or
> where extra vocals by someone else are added? Maybe we could have them as
> separate works, with separate producing / lyrics credits, linked to the
> original work with an AR?

In NGS, only the works and releases have lyricists, so if the lyricists
are different, they would need be different works (linked to the
original somehow), I imagine it would be similar if the music changes.

Nikki