2011/5/12 caramel <carame...@ymail.com>

> > And for classical releases, is there still an exception for track names
>> > (strictly conform to standard) ?
>> >
>> Eventually no?
>>  from http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:CSGv2/Recording/Title
>> "Classical track titles should be entered as they are on the liner,
>> following normal MusicBrainz style guidelines, with the exceptions..."
>>
>> Read it (proposal CSG v2)
> Once again, the distinction between track, recording and work titles should
> be introduced. There is a difference non-classical releases since it is
> proposed to follow liner notes for recordings titles when it was said on
> this thread that tracks titles are copied from back cover and recordings
> titles are more "standard".
> I think recordings concept are much more important for classical because
> recordings (obviously old ones) are used many times in different albums and
> compilations. I think that the use of "standard" titles for recordings (same
> title as works) should be applied.
>
> About the doc itself, please correct the documentation for non-English
> language. We already had a discussion on forum about the keys in German.
> Please no C-dur or cis-moll but C-Dur and cis-Moll with upper-case.
>
> About abbreviations : please use the right ortho-typography rules for the
> language. I am sorry but there is no "No." in French but "no", "Nr." in
> German, "no" in Italian, Spanish... "#" in US English,... followed by
> Arabian numbers.
>
> Abbreviation of "opus" is "Op." in English.... but "op." for Latin
> languages
>
> In the example cited in the documentation "Les nuits d'été, Op. 7: 2. Le
> spectre de la rose (Alt)", the space before semi-colon sign is missing while
> it is mentioned that "If French CSG is being used, the additional
> punctuation spacing rules of
> CapitalizationStandardFrench<http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Capitalization_Standard_French>also
>  apply".. and the French capitalization is missing too.
> It should be :
> Les Nuits d'été, op. 7 : 2. Le Spectre de la rose (Alt) if we apply French
> capitalization, abbreviation and spacing rules
> and far better with (alto) instead of (Alt)
> while the work title could be
> Les Nuits d'été, op. 7 H. 81 : II. Le Spectre de la rose (alto)
> or
> Mélodies pour voix et piano, op. 7 H. 81 « Les Nuits d'été »  : II. Le
> Spectre de la rose (alto)
>
> For works titles in CSG, we should use one language for one composer....
> and of course, it is better to use the native language of the composer (with
> still some discussion for non Latin languages !). So the examples in
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:CSGv2/Work/Title and
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:CSGv2/Work/Title/Work_and_opus_identificationshould
>  reflect this position.
> Ex: For Hector Berlioz, the language should be French. So instead of :
> [...]

I am not sure you are right about capitalization/punctuation rules. I
believe there are 2 parts in a title:
- the reference part, work type, catalog info etc...
- the "common name"

I agree the common name should be in the composer's language and follow that
language's rules, but the reference part should not necessarily do so. Since
Work titles are where we will apply the most normalization, part of the
normalization rules could be that the reference part of a classical work
should be written in English. Of all the works referenced from
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/CSG_Standard , only Bach, Britten and Satie are
in the composer's language, all others seem to be in English. I am not
saying this is right or wrong, but there are arguments for each way. I would
have difficulties entering Чайковский, Пётр Ильич works or linking one of my
albums to the correct works if his list was in Cyrillic. And I seriously
doubt Béla Bartók would be easier.

Once again, I am not saying using the composer's language is wrong, just
that it should be carefully thought before taking a decision, preferably
after entering a partial list of works by composers such as these.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org