2011/5/12 symphonick <symphon...@gmail.com>

> [...]
> >> In the CSG doc, it is written that we should maintain the ArtistIntent
> >> too.
> >> If the composer titled itself his works on the score, why should we
> >> translate to English...
> >>
> >> But I guess that the problem will be to clean the database... if I
> >> search on
> >> ngs.musicbrainz.org the works for "Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125",
> >> get about 400 works without taking into account other flavours
> >> Symphonie,
> >> Sinfonie,... no key, no opus number.... So it will be a big job to
> >> merge the
> >> works.
> >> As you guess there is more Symphony than Sinfonie, but you can look at
> >> the
> >> Beethoven's manuscript of the first edition of the score on IMSLP or
> >> read
> >> the web (English) pages of the Beethoven's house museum
> >> (
> http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=15241&template=werkseite_digitales_archiv_en&_eid=1510&_ug=Symphonies&_werkid=127&_mid=Works%20by%20Ludwig%20van%20Beethoven&suchparameter=&_seite=1
> )
> >> given the correct name is "Sinfonie Nr. 9 (d-Moll) op. 125" with key in
> >> parenthesis since it was not given by the author, and opus abbreviation
> >> with
> >> lower case (German !). We can derive a CSG compliant name from this but
> >> since we will have to do the work for all the works and all the
> >> composers
> >> and merge all the fake works to the correct and attach the recordings
> >> without works (eg.
> >>
> http://ngs.musicbrainz.org/recording/0160bf56-1c40-4a02-84f1-ee675c568d56
> >> and many others). I think we can propose a language for each composer,
> >> before to initiate the enormous work for the next months.
> >>
> >> I agree that I prefer languages using Latin script but not to
> >> discriminate
> >> our Russian friends for Tchaikovsky, Shostakovitch, Moussorgsky,... I
> >> am not
> >> closing the debate here. And there is always the possibility to add
> >> aliases
> >> for the work names. It is a pretty solution to maintain the original
> >> title
> >> in its language and to add at least the English translation as alias
> >> name.
> >
> > I don't know if this was stating a fact or requesting a feature, but
> > there are aliases for work names already :) (and I would indeed use
> > the language used by the artist for the work name and add the rest as
> > an alias)
>
> +1
>
> I assume that if we don't default to "original" titles, we would always
> get partly translated titles derived from works? Let's say some of
> Tchaikovsky's works are in French, but I'd have to somehow manually select
> aliases if I don't want everything in French?

We will have "problems" with Tchaikovsky (Russian/French/...?), Liszt
(Hungarian / French / ..?), Händel (German/Italian/English)... but always
there is a "native" language.

I'm just guessing here, it would be interesting to know how Picard would
> handle this.
>
>From my understanding, Picard will see only track names (by default ?).
Recordings (names) are linked to tracks and Works (names) are linked to
Recordings.... so to take the standard work name, we have to follow the
links...