On 12 May 2011 09:23, caramel <carame...@ymail.com> wrote:
>> 'copy of back cover for track names (including spelling/grammar errors
>>
>> > and capitalization effects)...'
>> >
>> > Please no.  No, no, no, no, no.  Do we really want to turn MB into the
>> > mess that is Discogs?
>>
>> Correcting mistakes is ok, we're just not attempting to standardise the
>> titles.
>>
> Why I prefer using MB that other database ? it is because, the track titles
> are corrected, there is capitalization standards and good titles for
> classical releases (a bit heavier... takes a long time to enter/correct
> them). Up to now, we assumed that the style guidelines should be applied if
> it is not proofed that there is an artist intent.

Same here (bar the classical stuff which I don't work on and thus
don't know too much about).  To expand on my point, I can see cases
where you would want track names to differ
e.g.

* Crediting a track differently depending on the release such as
having Queen as a featured artist on "Under Pressure" for a Bowie
release.
* Allowing "The Detroit Spinners" to be used on UK releases rather
than "The Spinners".

But keeping something like Madonna being spelt Madona on a release
doesn't make any sense to me.  This is especially true as most
consumers will get track-level only for the time being.
--
Andrew :-)

Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and IcedTea
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://icedtea.classpath.org

PGP Key: F5862A37 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EA30 D855 D50F 90CD F54D  0698 0713 C3ED F586 2A37