I also think of that tape, but since you (or at least I used to) mix to
tape, you have a recording which is a mix. It is also a unique creative
expression, even though it didn't come directly from a mouth or musical
instrument.

I haven't been around to see all these arguments, but the impression I get
is that the misunderstanding was not driven by the choice of words, but the
definition "...distinct audio. This means that two recordings should only
be merged if the audio that they contain sounds the same." which relies too
much on where individuals draw the line on how sufficiently similar is 'the
same'. Is it vinyl vs. CD or MP3, is it this mastering or that, all of
those?

So I think the solution is to provide a definition that is similar to that
provided for copyright etc. but can be easily interpreted by individual
editors in a consistent manner. Hence we exclude cases where mastering has
produced sufficient uniqueness to represent a new recording, because we
can't consistently interpret it.