Just wanted to say that I came across this
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ56.pdf US Government circular about
copyright for sound recordings. Obviously, there is stuff in here that is
different from how we want to define things in MB, but it does have some
very precise definitions. What's interesting is we've managed to wander
quite close to some of them. However, mainly where they talk about
'derivative recordings': "The preexisting recorded sounds must have been
rearranged, remixed, or otherwise altered in sequence or character, or
there must be some additional new sounds." Now this is for copyright, so
slightly different rules but if you take out the 'or character or
additional new sounds', it's essentially what we've got. But that's only
for derivative recordings. This comes back the unmixed unedited question.
They define a recording as the product of the “fixation of a series of
musical, spoken, or other sounds” (similar to our audio track definition).
So I think there might be an answer somewhere in here. I think the mixing
and editing is it's what defines unique derivative recordings perhaps
versus 'source recordings' (just made that up, don't know what anyone
thinks but to me it's better than raw).
Obviously this needs thinking about but to me it seems a fruitful line to
follow.