lixobix wrote
> This makes no sense semantically. Mixing and editing are separate
> processes. We are attempting to define recordings. Why define 'mixing' as
> 'mixing or editing', then 'mixing' as 'recording'?

I'm not. I'm defining a mix as the produce of mixing and editing audio
tracks. And there is no way that that can be incorrect.

lixobix wrote
> It is easier, and makes sense to define both 'mixing' and 'editing'
> separately, then define 'recording' as 'mixing' OR 'editing'. This option
> did not appear to be discussed is IRC, but achieves the objective without
> stretching the meaning of the terms involved.

That depends on your definition of editing. You're talking specifically
about editing of a mix. The guideline is talking about editing of any an
audio track. Definition #3 at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/edit .

lixobix wrote
> 2) "Mixing is defined as changing the volume of a particular audio track
> relative to other audio tracks. It also covers things such as volume
> fading, panning within a sound field, or muting a track completely"
>
> This is partially correct, but it only explains some of the elements of
> mixing. You should define mixing generally as:
>
> "The process of combining multiple audio tracks into a single master
> track"
>
> Then go on:
>
> "The individual audio tracks are processed during mixing. This may involve
> changing their volume, panning, removal, EQ, compression, and other
> effects processing, such as reverb or delay"

Sounds good, I'll update that in the next revision.

lixobix wrote
> "The result of mixing is a master track. This may be mono (one track),
> stereo (2 tracks, left and right), or surround (Dolby 5.1, quadrophonic,
> etc.). The master track then goes through the process of 'mastering',
> which involves adding compression, EQ, and noise filtering.

No, the product of mixing is a mix. The product of mastering is a master
release containing a series of mastered mixes, ready for
manufacturing/digital distribution. Other than those two terms, I agree.

lixobix wrote
> 3) "Editing of audio tracks generally takes place before mixing"
>
> This is not correct in this context.

Different type of editing.

lixobix wrote
> 4) "It should be noted that mixing and editing usually apply to audio
> tracks rather than the whole song. These two processes take place before
> the completion of the song."
>
> This section is not necessary, and is confusing. It conflates the two
> processes, and defines mixing as something that is "applied" to audio
> tracks, which uses 'mixing' as a noun rather than a verb; it should be the
> latter.

I'll reword it slightly eg. "the process of mixing...". I might also try to
make the distinction between editing of audio tracks and editing of a master
clearer.

lixobix wrote
> 5) "Mastering is a related process that is applied to the whole song after
> completion, to prepare it for a particular release."
>
> This is problematic, because of how 'releases' are currently defined.
> Currently, multiple countries means multiple releases. Therefore, your
> definition would mean that each of these would have unique mastering,
> which is not correct. This section is not needed if you define mastering
> as above.

Perhaps "a particular release or group of releases"?